Politics, Collective Intelligence, and the Rule of the Many
Principles and Mechanisms
Other Publications in English
- "Inclusive Constitution-Making and Religious Rights: Lessons from the Icelandic Experiment,” Journal of Politics 79(3): 762-779, 2017.
- “Beyond the Fact of Disagreement? The Epistemic Turn in Deliberative Democracy,” Journal of Social Epistemology 31(3): 277-295, 2017.
- “Unmasking the Crowd: Participants’ Motivation Factors, Expectations, and Profile in a Crowdsourced Law Reform” (with Tanja Aitamurto and Jorge S. Galli), Information, Communication, and Society 20(8), 2017: 1239-60.
- “Crowdsourced Deliberation: The Case of an Off-Traffic Law Reform in Finland” (with Tanja Aitamurto), Policy & Internet 8(2), 2016: 174-196.
- "Toward a Justification of the Firm-State Analogy: In Defense of Workplace Democracy" (with Isabelle Ferreras), Political Theory 44(1), 2016: 53-81.
- "Inclusive Constitution-Making: The Icelandic Experiment," Journal of Political Philosophy 23(2), 2015: 166-191.
- “Deliberation and Disagreement: Problem Solving, Prediction, and Positive Dissensus” (with Scott E. Page), Philosophy, Politics, and Economics 14(3), 2015: 229-254.
- "Neither Blind Nor Mute: Why the People Must Not Give Up on the Voice," Political Theory 42(2), 2014: 192-197. Symposium on Jeffrey Green's The Eyes of the People.
- "On Minimal Deliberation, Partisan Activism, and Teaching People How to Disagree: Reflections on Diana Mutz’s Hearing the Other Side,” Critical Review 25(2), 2013: 210-225.
- "Talking It Out with Others vs. Deliberation within and the Law of Group Polarization: Some Implications of the Argumentative Theory of Reasoning for Deliberative Democracy" (with Hugo Mercier), Analise Social 205, xlvii (4.º), 2012: 910- 93.
- “Deliberation, Cognitive Diversity, and Democratic Inclusiveness: An Epistemic Argument for the Random Selection of Representatives,”
Synthese 190 (7), 2013: 1209-1231.
- “Reasoning is for Arguing: Explaining the Successes and Failures of Deliberation” (with Hugo Mercier), Political Psychology 33, 2012: 243-258.
- “Why the Many Are Smarter than the Few and Why It Matters,” Journal of Public Deliberation: 8(1), 2012, art. 7.
- "Politics and the Economist-King: Is Rational Choice Theory the Science of Choice?” Journal of Moral Philosophy 1(2), 2004: 185-207.
- “Political Epistemology in the Age of Alternative Facts: On World-Building, Truth-Tracking, and Arendtian Vacillations in Linda Zerilli’s A Democratic Theory of Judgment,” Political Theory 2018
- “Deliberative Democracy as Open, Not (Just) Representative Democracy,” Daedalus, special issue on “Deliberative Democracy: Prospects and Challenges” edited by Jim Fishkin and Jane Mansbridge, 146(3): 51-63, Summer 2017.
- “Five Design Principles for Crowdsourced Policymaking: Assessing the Case of Crowdsourced Off-Road Traffic Law in Finland” (with Tanja Aitamurto), Journal of Social Media for Organization 2(1): 1-19, 2015.
- “Democracy as Heuristic: the Ecological Rationality of Political Equality,” The Good Society 23(2): 160-178, 2014.
- “Yes We Can (Make It Up On Volume): Reply to Critics,” Critical Review 6 (1-2), 2014.
- “Ideology and Dystopia” (with Jon Elster), Critical Review 20(3), November 2008.
- “Is representative democracy really democratic?” / “La démocratie représentative : contradiction dans les termes ou essence de la démocratie?” Interview of Bernard Manin and Nadia Urbinati in booksandideas.net (English version of laviedesidees.fr).
- “The Epistemic Value of Democratic Deliberation” (with David Estlund), in André Bächtiger, John S. Dryzek, Jane Mansbridge, and Mark Warren (eds). Oxford Handbook of Deliberative Democracy, forthcoming, September 2018.
- “What is a Good Constitution? Assessing the Icelandic Constitutional Proposal,” in Tom Ginsburg and Aziz Huq, Assessing Constitutional Performance (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), pp. 71-98, 2016.
- “Inclusive Constitution-Making: Epistemic Considerations on the Icelandic Experiment,” Experiments in Democracy – Iceland in crisis and recovery (Jón Ólafsson ed): Reykjavík: University of Iceland Press & Bifröst University, 2014.
- “Two Concepts of Order: An Essay on Harmony and Order versus Spontaneity and Revolt in Western Thought,” in Wayne Cristaudo, Heung Wah Wong, and Sun Youzhong, Order and Revolt: East West Approaches, Hong Kong University Press, 2014.
- “Collective Wisdom: Old and New (Introduction),” in Landemore and Elster, Collective Wisdom: Principles and Mechanisms, see EDITED VOLUME.
- “Democratic Reason: the Mechanisms of Collective Intelligence in Politics,” in Landemore and Elster, Collective Wisdom: Principles and Mechanisms, see EDITED VOLUME.
- “Why one should reject the motion intending to remove animals from the status of property,” in Fiery Cushman, Marc D. Hauser, and Matthew Kamen (eds), People, Property, or Pets? Purdue University Press, 2006.
- “The Argumentative Turn Revisited: Public Policy as Communicative Practice, by Frank Fischer & Herbert Gottweis,” Perspectives on Politics, 2014.
- “Truth and Democracy, by Andrew Norris & Jeffrey Elkins,” Contemporary Political Theory (2014) 13, e7–e11. doi:10.1057/cpt.2013.22.
- “The Eyes of the People: Democracy in an Age of Spectatorship, by Jeffrey Edward Green,” Political Communication 28(03), 2011: 402-406.
- “Against Injustice : The New Economics of Amartya Sen, by Reiko Gotoh and Paul Dumouchel (eds),” Journal of Economic Literature, December 2010.
- “Causation,” Encyclopedia entry for the Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Political Philosophy (Michael T. Gibbons ed), 2012.
- “Jon Elster,” Encyclopedia entry for the Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Political Philosophy (Michael T. Gibbons ed), 2012.
- “Political Authority,” in Deen K. Chatterjee (ed), Encyclopedia of Global Justice, Springer: 201.
Other Publications in French
- Précis de Philosophie des Sciences: “La Philosophie des Sciences Sociales” (with Jon Elster) in Précis de Philosophie des Sciences by Anouk Barberousse and Max Kistler Now forthcoming in translation with Oxford University Press. Link to interview with the authors.
- “La raison démocratique: les mécanismes de l’intelligence collective en politique” Raison Publique 12, May 2010.